5 things you probably didn't know about Salzburg
In every city or destination I have been I usually interact with locals. Interacting with locals is a good method to learn about stories, things or facts about the visiting place that you will not find them in travel guides. One of these cities is Salzburg and I have for you 5 things you probably didn't know it.
5. Salzburg is the city with the most breweries per capita (10 in total)
4. Silent night, holy night. The most famous Christmas Song of the world, translated in more than 300 languages and dialects, started from Salzburg.
3. Back in 1669, 230 people lost their lives after a rockfall. Since then climbers / cleaners inspect over 300,000 square meters on the hills of Salzburg to ensure the safety of the city.
2. Salzburg has 13 different Mozart chocolate balls, but the authentic ones can be tasted at the "confiserie Fürst" pastry shops. The reason that 13 varieties exist, is that when the "confiserie Fürst" got the gold medal in 1905 at the Paris Chocolate Exhibition they did not register the patent.
1. For many years most of the city's tourist activity was due to the 1965 Hollywood film "The Sound of Music", shot in Salzburg and won five Oscars. The Austrians on the other hand hated the film. They found it "kitschy", too American and with many historical inaccuracies.